If you have a mole, you are not alone. Most people have moles of different textures and colors, but normal moles usually have a diameter of less than 6 millimeters. Moles are caused by melanocytes which are skin cells that produce melanin and determine your skin color.
When these melanocytes clump together, they produce a mole. Most moles are nothing to worry about but you should still check your moles regularly. Your skin doctor at North Mountain Dermatology in Phoenix, AZ Dr. Tamela Tripp wants to share the facts about moles and what you need to look for.
When you check your moles, pay attention to these characteristics:
- Irregular borders
- Color change
- Diameter larger than 6 millimeters
- Asymmetrical shape
- A change in the shape, size or height of the mole
If you have a mole, it could be an early sign of skin cancer. Skin cancer is more easily treatable when caught early which is why it is so important to do a self-exam of your moles.
Your skin doctor at North Mountain wants you to seek out their help if you notice any of the signs listed above or if you notice that any of your moles are:
- Itching or burning
- Oozing or bleeding
- Re-growing after being previously removed
When you visit North Mountain Dermatology, we may suggest a number of effective treatments for your moles, including:
- Surgically shaving your mole; we will first numb the area and then shave around and underneath your mole. This procedure works great for smaller moles and requires no suturing.
- Surgically excising your mole; we will numb the area around the mole and then remove the mole using a punching instrument. This procedure is used for larger moles and requires just a few sutures to close the area.
Removing your mole is a quick and convenient. Treatment usually requires only one short appointment and is done on an outpatient basis. If your mole has changed color, shape, texture or size, it’s time to seek out the help of the experts. Call your skin doctors at North Mountain Dermatology in Phoenix, AZ. Call today and get your mole under control!